Saturday 5 June 2010

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SPAIN AND LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS

1) They love ham, a lot.
2) The windows don't have screens, aka if a window is open, it is OPEN.
3) THERE ARE SO MANY BIDETS!! Literally, in every bathroom, there is a bidet!! And Kaja and I wikipediaed "Bidet" to learn what on earth they were used for. We learned that the correct terminology for using Bidets is to "mount a bidet" In Kaja's family's house, there is a bidet in the father's bathroom, the mother's bathroom, AND the 6 year old girl's bathroom AND the TWO year old boy's bathroom. I wonder... are the bidets there just because they used to be a cool thing to have, and the house was built with them so they just exist, OR did they put the bidets in on purpose?? WHYYYY I dont understand the bidet. Bidets are so so goofy.
4) In the airport, there are glass rooms about the size of a kitchen that are "designated smoking areas." As soon as my flight landed, about 30% of the airplane tried to fit into the glass box para fumar (to smoke, english people). I especially think its funny because it is only a three walled room... the smoke pours out into the rest of the airport anyways!! Silly.
5) Kaja says the bananas taste different... I dont notice the change.
6) Everyone speaks spanish here. Its soooo inconvenient.
7) Breakfast is cereal or toast... eggs are not for breakfast, nor are pancakes or french toast.
8) Lunch is the big meal of the day, normally around 2. That can be eggs, but for kids, it's either: Ham and cheese sandwich or ham and cheese sandwich. Just kidding by the way, they eat other foods too. (like Serrano ham and cheese)
9) Dinner is suuuuper late and light, and the kids don't eat with the adults. Kids eat first, probably ham and cheese, at like 8:30ish, and then the parents (and super mature au pairs) eat, at around 9 or 10 (or here it would be 21 or 22) And they eat fancy ham and cheese with wine or water. And if you are an au pair from America, you are SO HUNGRY.
10) Oh! I almost forgot... they use Army time! I must look very stupid counting back on my fingers to figure out what time things are!
11) Instead of cops sitting on the side of the road with radars, speed limits are enforced by overhead monitors that are on 24/7 and that track your license plate and speed. So, don't speed in spain, alright?

Be advised, this assessment of Spain was made after being in Spain for little more than two days. So if I ever figure out the Bidet, I will let everyone know.

Also the weather here is phenomenal... so warm and nice, sunny for hours, swimming pools everywhere the eye looks. Tomorrow I am going in to Madrid with Kaja, testing out that crazy European drinking age (but not in a liver imploding way mom, don't worry, I've got mono), and doing some shopping in a merkadillo, or flea market. Kaja and I also have tentative plans to go to Seville this weekend, which is in the south of Spain and supposedly has lots of amazing things to see like flamenco dancing!
Ole ole!
Julia (while I am in spain, read my name as "Hulia")

No comments:

Post a Comment