Wednesday 9 June 2010

Kaja and my new favorite song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGecjIgJ70
The girl is Scarlett Johansson!
Sooo today was really rainy and I was so tired... so I'm going to try to make this short so I can go to sleep! This morning at Kaja's we walked to the nearby supermarket to get some groceries and stuff. This grocery store was so so different than in America... much less variety, pancake mix sold in boxes labeled "tortillas americanas," and whole pig legs hanging behind the deli counter with their hooves still attached!! With out newly purchased groceries Kaja and I made chocolate chip cookies! Its funny, Kaja's Au Padre stocks up on the strangest foods but doesnt keep the kitchen supplied with basic necessities like butter, eggs, and Sugar! We had to be a bit inventive with our cookies but in the end they turned out delicious!! Because it was so rainy that was about all we did, it was a sleepy morning.
I then took the bus to the school area but I wound up there way too early so I had to wait in the rain for a good 45 minutes. I had an umbrella but it was still pretty miserable. The Abuela came to get me with the Abuelo, but when we got to the school the Abuelo told me he wanted me to stay in the car, he wanted to go get them alone. He explained that when I am there, Carmen yells, "Julia!!!" and he wanted her to yell "Abuelo!!" instead. I let him go alone of course, I was just as happy to sit in the warm car, but inside I was thinking, "Are you kidding me?" He got Carmen (Rafa Jr was staying late at school again today) and when we got to the Abuela's house she and I went into the basement where there are lots of toys. I must admit I just kinda sat there being tired and spacing out while Carmen entertained herself with lots of stuffed animals... not my best Au Pair moment. Then Maica came with Rafa and took us all home. I don't know if it was the rain or everyone was just tired, but Rafa and Carmen started fighting like crazy in the car until everyone was SOBBING and Maica looked like she was thinking about driving off a bridge. Somehow we made it back to the house with everyone in one piece and then things started going uphill.
Carmen had a time out in her room to cool off, while Rafa and I played some board games. When Carmen came back she was much more cheerful and she joined us for Rummy cube! Carmen and I played on a team against Rafa. I am actually really good at Rummy cube and for once didn't go easy (after all, if I win with Carmen it's ok in my book) and both Rafa Sr and Maica came to try to help Rafa Jr out, but I was still creaming him. Of course, as is typical with Rummy Cube and little kids, the game never really ends with a winner because sooner or later someone decides to roll in the pieces! It was good timing though because it was dinner!
Maica made this delicious Spanish rice dish that I loved! Actually Maica's cooking is really funny because she cooks with this machine, the "Thermomix 31" and yes it is just as goofy as the name. This machine cooks, mixes, chops, times, weighs, and even comes with a cookbook full of easy recipes to make in it. Maica says she hates cooking but in the Thermomix it is easy! The food is always really yummy so it's fine with me! I also brought some cookies home for everyone so they were very happy.
That's about all that happened today, hopefully tomorrow I will be more awake!!
xoxoxx Julia

1 comment:

  1. Hey Julia, it is OK to write only a normal length blog post and also to let Carmen entertain herself for a few minutes! Thanks for another great entry...

    ReplyDelete